The most popular way to give you a brand new smile is with porcelain veneers. They can transform the perceived color, size, or shape of your teeth and give you the smile you’ve always wanted.
What Are Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are thin wafers of porcelain that are bonded to the fronts of your teeth. And porcelain mimics tooth enamel so perfectly that, when veneers are done by highly trained artists, it is nearly impossible to tell that dental work has been done.
Dr. Michael Weiss of Philadelphia is a dental artist. As one of six dentists in Pennsylvania accredited by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, he has received numerous achievements and awards. Visit his smile gallery to see photographs of some of his cases.
Although some dentists complete a smile makeover by placing crowns over the front teeth, aggressive tooth preparation is required. Dr. Weiss prefers a conservative approach, which porcelain veneers provide.
- You and Dr. Weiss will discuss your smile goals, including the shape, size, and color of your teeth.
- Dr. Weiss will show you a digital version of your smile design. In some cases he applies mock bonding to your teeth. It is temporary and provides a live preview of your new smile.
- After you examine your smile design, Dr. Weiss will make adjustments based on your requests until it’s just as you want it.
- Newer ultra-thin porcelains may not require any preparation of your natural teeth. But if preparation is needed, it will only be a small amount, as shown in the diagram above. Shaving the teeth a little can make it easier to have a seamless transition from veneer surface to enamel surface, which is a key element in creating an easy-to-clean, decay-resistant end result. Dr. Weiss will discuss whether or not he recommends tooth preparation for your case.
- Dr. Weiss’ ceramist will make a wax-up of your smile makeover for you to examine and try on. If you approve the wax-up, the ceramist will make provisional, or temporary, veneers.
- When you look in the mirror and examine the provisional veneers on your teeth, you’ll likely be thrilled with your new smile and the way it complements your facial features. But if you have any hesitation, Dr. Weiss will make the changes you request and communicate them to his ceramist before your porcelain veneers are made.
- When your porcelain veneers are ready, Dr. Weiss will use a try-in paste to place them on your teeth. If you have any hesitation, Dr. Weiss will send the veneers back to his ceramist for adjustment or to be completely remade.
Dr. Weiss’ detailed smile design process includes your input throughout each phase and ensures that you’ll receive the smile you’ve always wanted. Your porcelain veneers will only be permanently bonded to your teeth if you’re certain that you love the look and feel of your smile design. That’s his beautiful smile guarantee.
Care of Your Porcelain Veneers
For the most part, you can care for your porcelain veneers the way you would care for your own teeth. They will look and feel pretty much like your own teeth. We find that with a smile they are proud of, many patients feel more motivated to practice good oral hygiene at home.
Tips to properly care for your veneers:
- Brush twice daily and floss at least once a day.
- Protect them while you sleep with a custom bite plate, which Dr. Weiss will make for you at the completion of your smile makeover.
- Protect them with an appropriate mouthguard if you engage in contact sports.
- Do not bite metal or other hard objects.
Interested in a Smile Makeover?
If you’re interested in a smile makeover with porcelain veneers, you can request an appointment for an exam or a complimentary consultation with Dr. Weiss. Call us or complete our Request an Appointment form.